I really don't even know where to begin.
Today has been so hard. Could it have been worse? Yes. Was it what we were hoping for? No. Was it what we were expecting? Yes and no.
I could go into a really long and drawn out explanation and tell you about all of the times that opinions and plans have been changed today, but I'll spare you. Essentially, there are some big hurdles that we have to overcome in Ryan's journey, and here they are:
- The theraspheres did what they were supposed to do! But...
- Ryan's cancer has advanced in other areas. There are new lesions on his liver, near his colon, and in his pelvis...
- ...but he isn't experiencing pain nearly to the level that he would with so many lesions, so there are questions as to whether all of these masses are truly cancer, or are they something else? (Blood? Infection?)
- Ryan is starting to present with ascites (LOTS of it), but when he was drained, the fluid was mostly blood...
- which leads us to the question: from where is this blood coming? Is he bleeding internally? His doctor has never seen this from a Theraspheres patient.
- His bloodwork also brought some concern. His electrolytes are out of whack. His bilirubin is creeping up, which we are seeing in the color of his eyes and his face.
All of these problems and questions are leading to the conclusion: Ryan has to be admitted to have further testing and to get his counts stabilized. We are able to do this in Muskegon, so once he is done getting a magnesium infusion, we will hit the road. Long, long day. No chemo today. Hopefully we will start treatment next week as soon as this all settles down.
We so appreciate your prayer and concern and we desperately need more prayer for wisdom as we attempt to navigate all of these new developments.